Termites are the most destructive pests to homes and other structures. They can cause billions of dollars worth of property damage each year. They thrive in warm, wet environments that humans create and then invade.
If they go undetected and unchecked, they can damage your structure over time. This is why they are considered to be one of the most dangerous pests to have in your home. They are not only destructive, but you will need professional pest control services in Singapore to eradicate them for good.
Below are nine termite facts that everyone should know.
Amazing facts about termites
- Termites don’t just eat wood. Some can eat wallpaper, fabrics, and plastic too.
- Termites groom one another to prevent disease. Yet, they have as many as 1,400 species of bacteria in their bodies.
- Termite species are over 2,700 all over the world. They have three termite types: king or queen, soldiers, and workers.
- They can release large amounts of gas after ingesting wood. Scientists said that about 150 million tons of methane gas are released yearly by termites.
- Termites communicate through vibrations. They create these by banging their heads in the walls of their colony. This is their way of warning the rest of the colony about impending dangers.
- Termites create their air-conditioning system. They do these by building tall mounds that can be as high as 30 feet above the ground. These take in and out air when the temperature in their nest fluctuates.
- The queen of African termites lays an egg every 15 seconds and can live for 20 years. Some termite queens can last for 50 years – making them the insect with the longest lifespan in the world.
- Queens can pre-determine the role of young termites. She feeds them feces filled with a specific type of pheromone.
- Termites are a delicious snack in Singapore. They are also ingested as a cure for sickness in other parts of the world. These insects are highly nutritious and rich sources of calcium, iron, protein, amino and fatty acids.
Read also: 5 Myths About Termites That You Need To Know
The above details about termites are interesting. But they are still cunning pests that you’d want to drive away from your home. Termites can do a lot of damage to property and they are not easy to manage. Learning about these termite facts can help you understand what kind of pests you’ll be dealing with. If you come across any signs of termite infestation, contact a termite control company immediately.